Coronation Gardens is a beautiful, Edwardian green space set in Southfields between Merton Road, Pirbright Road and Standen Road, London SW18. The Gardens commemorate the coronation of King Edward VII in August 1902. A local paper called it Wandsworths new lungs. Sir William Lancaster (18411929) was an English businessman, philanthropist and politician, the second Mayor of Wandsworth (190102) and the co-founder of Putney School of Art and Design. Mayor William Lancaster gave the land (Coronation Gardens) to be a public park and his sisters donated the granite drinking fountain. The drinking fountain is described as rough hewn granite with Art Nouveau-style bowl and ornamental railings to one side. It is an historic Edwardian park with a formal path network. Tree features include a central ring of mature London planes, an avenue of horse chestnuts, and another line of planes. A fruiting orchard was recently added. It is overlooked by two listed buildings, Riversdale School and Tiffany Heights. ?
The organisation with legal responsibility for Coronation Gardens (Wandsworth) is Wandsworth Council. Their website for the park is
Coronation Gardens (Wandsworth) is managed and maintained by Enable Leisure and Culture
Do you see any mistakes or problems on this page? If so please let us know here